I ripped this shirt apart more than once. The pattern is very long, and I should have tried it on before sewing on the gathered section (lesson learned). But I think I finally ended up with something wearable!
At first, I was a little nervous that it seemed too big all over, but it fits in the arm area, which keeps it from looking messy. The flowy look is also in right now, so I think it wouldn’t look too out of place if you saw it in a store. I’ve worn it to movie night with jeans, and felt super stylish.
I am proud of this one because 1. Its a silky fabric I’m not used to sewing, and it didn’t bite me. and 2. I made the pattern for the tulip sleeves myself! I used this tutorial for some help, and used my street sewing smarts.
I took a moment to add a hot pink button, because I could and I did.
Fluttery tulip sleeves in action! I always text Jon a picture of what I’m sewing, because he always gets so excited. I didn’t quite match the stripes on the side, but I think they matched up pretty well from the back view. Patting myself on the back for a job well done.
Making good progress on the cute summer shirt collection over here! This week I added a floral sleeveless top, with a peter pan collar, and an asymmetrical hemline for a flowy, breezy look.
The fabric is a lightweight cotton for summer, and I like the watercolor look of the floral print. I also like that this is one of those kinds of pattens where, if I drip ice cream or something, its not completely noticeable (depending on the flavor of ice cream).
I read the directions wrong for the collar. I doubt it would have made much of a difference, and no one would be able to tell, but I would know. So out the stitches came.
And then it looked so much better the correct way, right???
And now, a grainy photo of the shirt being modeled. I ended up taking it in a bit on the sides because it was tooo flowy, but I am real happy with it now. I might add a couple little buttons near the collar too. (Please note the height of the tomato plants. They used to just be babies!)
I’m trying out a couple new shirt patterns this week, which means we had to go get some fabric. Oh darn. I get really sucked into sewing. Following the pattern, moving on to the next step, and the next and the next until its magically all done. I have to remind myself to stop to eat. We’ll see how many pieces I can finish this week!
I am a notorious list maker. My work space gets covered in little sticky notes throughout the days and week, and then I collect and categorize them in notebooks. My favorite notebooks have pretty covers, so I don’t lose them. This notebook has a cool woven cover to make it extra special.
Its a kit, if you were looking to try your hand at weaving on a small scale! I wanted to use the fun yellow color, and ended up with an upside down pineapple, just in time for summer.
We’ve lived in our house together and been married for almost a year, so it was time to add our family crest to the place.
I pay way too much attention to the back of my embroidery. Especially since it was covered up anyway. I just don’t want people in the 18th century to think I had loose morals because the back of my embroidery is all messy.
This kind of embroidery is the most fun. If I was around in the 18th century, I would have been cranking out the embroidery.
When that part was finished, I asked it what it felt like being. It said a flag, so then came some triangle math.
I used more leftover wedding fabric scraps for the back. It seemed fitting.
Then I sewed it all up, added some hanger loops, and stitched the edges. And someday, if someone rips it all apart, they will see how neat the back of my work looks.
I finished a new braided rug! It is made with fabric we used for wedding decorations. I originally thought we could use it for a new kitchen rug, but once I started putting it together, we decided that it would be perfect for a baby girl room someday. Wouldn’t it?
I started making some fabric napkins while my quilt fabric was in the wash the other week. I always think that we use too many paper towels, so I hope that having a whole bunch of fabric napkins on the table will help. Also, there is the pretty factor!
I originally wanted to do a running stitch along the edge (like these beauties), but a zig zag stitch added a nice bit of flare. I made a teeny tiny hem, so I think it will hold in place a little better this way.
So far, they are holding up well after going through the wash, and they add some pretty color to the table!
This is a pillow for a little longhorn. One of our friend’s brought over a naked pillow. Her little guy uses it in the car, and it needed a cover. They are big Longhorn fans, so I added a big friendly face to some grey fleece, and sewed a simple pillow cover. Ready for lots of car napping, which I was excellent at when I was little.